Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn’t available in the Microsoft Store, you’ll need to switch out of S mode.
Take note that switching out of S Mode is a one-way process. Once you’ve switched out, there’s no going back. So, make sure that you want to disable S Mode for good before you proceed.
Why Turn Off Windows 10 S Mode?
- Windows 10 S Mode has some disadvantages that might make you want to remove it. You will only be able to use the Edge browser and Bing as your search engine. Also, you can’t use any third-party apps or some peripherals and configuration tools.
- You can only use Edge and Bing: When you’re in S Mode, you can only use the Edge browser with Bing as your search engine. That means you won’t be able to use Chrome or Firefox, and you’ll have to go to Google.com when you want to use the search engine.
- No third-party apps: Windows 10 S only lets you download apps from the Microsoft Store. If you try to install an app that is not on the Microsoft Store, you will see a pop-up window that blocks you from using it.
- Limited support for accessories: Windows 10 S only lets you use certain computer peripherals, such as printers, webcams, and wireless mice.
- No OS customization and configuration tools: ” With Windows 10 S, you won’t be able to access the Command Prompt, PowerShell, or the Windows Registry for system configuration and troubleshooting.
The following methods can be used to switch out of S mode in Windows 10.
- How to Check if You Have Windows 10 S Mode Enabled.
- Open the Windows Start Menu. You can do this by clicking the button with the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of your screen, Or you can hit the button with the Windows logo on your keyboard.
- Then select Settings. This is the button with the gear icon.
- Next, click System.
- Then scroll down the left sidebar and click About.
- Check under Windows specifications to see if you have Windows 10 in S mode enabled. This will be to the right of the Edition.
How to Turn Off Windows 10 S Mode
- Open the Windows Start Menu.
- Then select Settings.
- Next, click Update & Security.
- Then select Activation. You can find this in the left sidebar of the Settings window.
- Next, click Go to the Store. You’ll see this next to a shopping bag icon with the Windows logo. Clicking on it will open up a new window in the Microsoft Store that says Switch out of S Mode.
- Then click Get. This will be a blue button located just below the description.
- Finally, click Install and wait for the process to finish. Once finished, you’ll see a pop-up box that says, “You’re all set! You have switched out of S mode and can now install apps from outside the Store.”
- Now We have successfully switched out of S mode.