was found in July 2003 and commenced its operations in November 2003. It is the second flag carrier of the UAE, headquartered in Khalifa City, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. On average, the airline operates more than 1000 flights per week with a fleet size of 102. Etihad’s parent company is Etihad Aviation Group, which also operates Etihad Holidays and Etihad Cargo. On 1 May 2021, it was stated Etihad Airways sold its 40% stake in Air Seychelles back to the Government of Seychelles. Due to the pandemic, the travel industry was
shut down, which resulted in a lot of loss, many airlines had to cancel their fleet orders, rumors were that Etihad also was planning to cancel their fleet order, but on 26 May 2020, Etihad confirmed that the airline will not cancel its orders and will proceed with them. The airline also addressed the rumors saying that they don’t have any plans on canceling its orders or ditch its fleet into early retirement. In February 2021, Etihad Airways became the first airline to vaccinate
all its operating pilots and cabin crew. Since 2016, the airline had reported losses of over $5.62 billion. In 2020, the full-year loss went up to $1.7 billion in 2020. Tony Douglas is the current CEO of Etihad Group, appointed in 2018. Etihad has minority shareholdings in Air Serbia; the government of Serbia recapitalized Air Serbia in 2020 and decreased Etihad’s stake up to 18%.
Etihad Airways has been sponsoring 14 sports teams since 2013, including Manchester City F.C. and Mumbai Indians. Etihad Airways has codeshare agreements with 52 airlines, including Air France, JetBlue, Gulf Air. Etihad Aviation Group includes Etihad Guest, Etihad Cargo, Etihad Engineering, Etihad Aviation Training, Etihad Business Connect, Etihad Secure Logistics.
Benefits and Features Etihad Airways
offers five cabins in different fleets: The Residence, First Apartment, First Suite, Business Studio, and Economy Smart Seat. The Residence provides a private living room, bedroom, and bathroom. It also features a wide two-seater sofa and T.V. monitor and can accommodate a maximum of two people. First Apartment can accommodate nine people, and it features a wide reclining chair, a vanity cabinet, and a minibar. In 2015, the First Apartment was named as the world’s best first-class considering its luxurious facilities. The Business Studio has seats that include a 22-inch-wide reclining chair which converts into a fully flat bed; it also features a T.V. monitor. Etihad provides an “E-box” entertainment system that includes Panasonic eX2 and the Thales Top Series i5000 with AVOD for its long-haul flights. Its official in-flight magazine is Atlas. Etihad’s frequent flyer program is called Etihad Guest, which offers a discount webshop for members and multiple benefits such as extra baggage and priority check-in for frequent fliers; points can be redeemed for class upgrades. Etihad and the UAE Ministry of Community Development made an agreement for senior Emirati citizens to provide them instant access to Etihad’s loyalty program, therefore, having access to the facilities like more air lies, discounted tickets, priority check-in, and extra baggage. Etihad believes that sustainability is at its core. It has a program called Etihad Greenline to transform the future of flying. The Etihad group is taking actions to reduce single-use plastics across the business, reach zero net carbon emissions by 2050, prevent illegal trade of wildlife.
Frequently Encountered Issues with Etihad Airways
- You can add extra baggage to your luggage up to 23 kg online or by contacting the contact center. All extra baggage payments are non-refundable.
- There is no count to baggage check-ins, but you have to make sure each bag weighs up to 23 kg each. Excess baggage fees will be applied if either of the bags weighs more than 23 kg.
- If you didn’t get your baggage, you need to report a Property Irregularity Report (PIR) before you leave the airport. Etihad Airways will help you track your baggage and organize a delivery for it as soon as possible.
- Baggage allowance differs on different flights operated by the partner airlines. However, your ticket shows the baggage allowance for each part of your journey, and the first airline you fly with will determine the baggage rules for both flights, so you don’t have to worry about it in the middle of the journey.
- Etihad Airways provide various different ways to pay for the flight, including credit and debit cards, eWallets, real-time bank transfer, and offline bank transfer.
- If you are from India, Malaysia, the Philippines, Maldives, and the U.K., Etihad Airways has got you covered with the tax refund. Check out the Etihad website for more information according to your country and ticket purchased.